This page is now protected by an ACL (writable by Koumbit Members only) because of repeated spam attacks. -- TheAnarcat 2008-08-02 14:13:22
Welcome to the FilmForge ! This page is a project overview for the general public. If you're looking for the development page, it's here: FilmForge/ToDo. The installation profile page is at FilmForge/DrupalProfile. The original proposal for the project, focused on our long-term plan to develop Free and Open Source Software browser-based and collaborative video editing tools, is now at FilmForgeOverview. The background page for the Hewlett Foundation is here: FilmForge/BackGround -- SashaCostanzaChock FilmForge has a publicly viewable test install at http://filmforge.koumbit.net.
For developers working on the project, or for those interested in looking under the hood, there is a list of To Do items and development notes here: http://wiki.koumbit.net/FilmForge/ToDo.
For those who want to help maintain the FilmForge drupal installation profile, it lives here: FilmForge/DrupalProfile.
Out of the box, FilmForge currently has the following features:
- Playback of Quicktime, Flash video, Real and Windows Media within the browser
- One-click fullscreen playback of all videos
- Download videos
- Copy-and-paste code for users to embed videos elsewhere
- Video uploading in any format, using a web form
- Automatic server-side flash transcoding and embedded playback
- Automatic thumbnail generation
- Customizable video metadata
- Open Content Licensing (creative commons)
- Rating / voting system
- Free Tagging
- RSS2 feeds with media enclosures (or "vodcasts") created automatically from tags or users
In the future, we hope to implement some or all of the following features (to be prioritized):
- Video downloading in several formats (especially autotranscode to the free format ogg)
Automatic creation and seeding of BitTorrent files upon video upload
- Additional Open Content Licensing (GNU Free Docmentation license, 'Copyleft' license, anticopyright license, customizable license.)
- Collaborative film production tools
- wiki (built in to the installation, not a separate install)
- subtitling / logging tool
- browser based editing tool
- video distribution toolkit (screenings, downloads, seeding, sales, EPK)
- Custom profile page for site members with personal latest videos vodcast feed
- Integration with gnutella and other p2p networks
- Donations system for contributors and online purchasing
- Mobile phone uploads and downloads
A demo of the out-of-the-box FilmForge package is live at http://filmforge.koumbit.net.
You can get involved in FilmForge development by:
- go to #filmforge (or #koumbit) on irc.freenode.net
- email filmforge AT koumbit.net
join the discussion list at https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/filmforge-discuss
help edit the development wiki at FilmForge/ToDo
Once the core functionality and theming is all working well, you will be able to download and install FilmForge as a preconfigured Drupal package. It will be available either at a Drupal.org page, at sourceforge.net, koumbit.net, as a .bittorrent file, and/or in SVN repository.
If you want to know more about who has worked on FilmForge so far, check out FilmForge/WhoAreWe.